Friday 9 July 2010

Reflection

Whew, almost back up to date with the blogging! This week is a reflection week for the Cambridge 23 Things programme. As such, I have reflected on the whole experience so far and have judged it to be a positive experience in several ways.

Firstly, I am more confident in using the technologies now that I know that other people use them in similar and different ways. This has confirmed my suspicion that there is no 'right way' to either follow or avoid. This is good.

Secondly, I have learnt new things about the technologies that I was already using. For example, I did not know about the creative commons search option in Flickr and the ability in iGoogle to have several tabs each with their own page designs.

Thirdly, it has encouraged me to become an active blogger and to engage with the wider community online.

Fourthly, it has generated lots and lots of Cambridge library-based blogs which have been fascinating to read and comment on; a real sense of community has developed. I just wish I had more time to fully read everything for every Thing!

Finally, and crucially, it has helped me to start thinking about how these tools could be used within the library setting. I already used the majority of these tools before starting the programme, but mainly for personal and professional developmental reasons. Take Twitter as an example. I've used Twitter now for a while for professional development. Now I can see the application for library users. Raising the profile of the library and connecting us to our users are important aspects of the modern profession; both can be realised through social media tools. I have started to become more creative in my approch to tools and their use. The Cam23 programme has really helped me to develop in this direction.

I can't wait for the next ten things!

1 comment:

Katie Birkwood said...

Wish I had more time, too. Your comment about learning about new-to-you features in tools you already use chimes with Ange Fitzpatrick's recent advice to review our routines to see if they're the most efficient way of doing things. It's easy to stagnate and not to look for better ways!