Thursday 20 November 2008

The most depressing thing I've heard someone say in a long while...

"Well, no one uses LCSH anymore do they? I mean, it's all just keyword searching now."
Nooooooo. All those hours trying to get those semantic relationships just right...please tell me that someone cares!

After all, Great Britain -> Foreign Relations -> United States
is the total opposite in meaning to
United States -> Foreign Relations -> Great Britain
and if the book was about both, then LCSH give you a way to exhibit both.

Not quite the same as just typing 'Obama' and crossing your fingers now is it.

Tsk.

1 comment:

Venessa said...

Oh my, I couldn't agree more! I know that we don't labour for hours on end with SH but we do invest some 'quality' time on it.

I'm all for the merits of serendipity but not for chaos!!